Thursday, August 05, 2004

CORPORATE ELITES SUPPORT KERRY


Whoopdeedoo. This should be good fodder for the Naderite sirens. Don't be fooled. There is a real and dire choice in 2004.

I'm not saying there's not a bi-partisan consensus to expand American militarism and use it to underwrite the foreign interests of American capital (though the methods may sometimes be different). I'm just saying that even granting this point in its most reductionist form, there is still a very clear choice between the competing duopolists with serious consequences for people's lives and livelihoods around the world.

I admit I am a recovering Nader 2000 voter (if only because I voted in Massachusetts where, as I drove to the town hall to cast my ballot, I heard a poll on the radio giving Gore 65% of the vote). Then, Nader was touting building a viable third party to recast the American political landscape. While it was a pipe dream then, now Nader is not even running with a party which to build.

I wasn't thrilled by Kerry and Edwards' militaristic overtures in their convention acceptance speeches. Nor am I thrilled by pronouncements such as this that Kerry is wooing American financial, media, IT, telecom, and manufacturing barons. But in 2004 the reality is that, while Kerry is not perfect, there are real and dire differences between he and Bush, and the cost of not choosing Kerry is too dear and not worth paying for the quixotic and megalomaniacal delusions of Ralph Nader.

Anyone reading this knows enough math to see that adding Gore's and Nader's vote shares makes a resounding rebuke by the American electorate for the radical conservative vision represented by the Bush-Republican political machine. Ditto, adding Nader to Kerry's total in the polls. Let's not fuck this up again, America. The world is counting on us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home