Wednesday, August 17, 2005

BELLY OF THE BEAST


I go there so you don't have to. What I found there today:



"I have come to feel strongly that the greatest service I can still render to my fellow men would be that I could make the speakers and writers among them thoroughly ashamed ever again to employ the term 'social justice'."


--Friedrich Hayek, The Mirage of Social Justice, p. 97

This is the ruling economic philosophy--of course for The Right, but also for the center-right Left, though they don't necessarily recognize it--of our day. And the battle over this philosophy is a war we need to be thinking more about.

Amazing. Though the man looks like a Nazi (he was Austrian, after all), allegedly the Nazi campaign of terror led him to formulate the ideas ensconced in Road to Serfdom--the manifesto of neoliberal fascists. And yet, he conspired with Nazi-sympathizing economists in the aftermath of WWII from the Bank for International Settlements and elsewhere to propagate conservative libertarian economic philosophies with...none other than a Jew (Milton Friedman).

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home